Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Body


On my 30th birthday, I looked in the mirror and didn’t like what I saw. My youngest child was nearly four and I could no longer blame the extra weight I carried on the old “I just had a baby” excuse. So, I got serious.

I changed my diet and started exercising each and every day. Eight months later, I’d lost 35 pounds and I was relatively happy with the way I looked and the way I felt. I can’t say I was uber happy, as I’ve always been a bit self-deprecating. But, I felt great!

It’s been nearly 20 years since I made that life-changing decision to take better care of myself. I’ve never let up, but my body has betrayed me.

I’ve gone through traumatic menopause (too much drama in my life), and I’ve been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder. I poured health and life into my body, but my body has succumbed to the ravages of nature and circumstances.

I don’t like it!

For the first time in my life, I REALLY understand the picture the Bible paints of the family of God. We are one body. ALL the parts must work together for the body to be in the best possible shape.

Even when most parts are willing to work and fight to be healthy, one part can betray the rest, and the entire body suffers. A giant machine can be crippled by the failure of just one tiny cog.

I will not give up on getting the rest of my body back in line. It may take some time, but I won’t give up on it.

I wish more people felt that way about the body of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment