Tuesday, October 30, 2007

A Friend - No Longer There

People come and go in and out of our lives. Sometimes we hold the people who are gone from our lives as a comfortable memory or we see their smiling face in the photo album we keep tucked away in the cobwebs of the gray matter between our ears. I call some from my past a "hard learned lesson" and am hopeful they remain there - in the past. Throughout my life there have been a small number of people who may not be a constant in the present, but the fact that they...just are, brings me comfort.

One such person is very, very sick and I doubt I'll ever see her again. Rose is a woman of strength and character who has been a beautiful example of wife, mother, woman of God, and friend. I am happy to say that Rose is a person I once gratefully called "friend", but our paths have moved in different directions and we haven't seen one another in a few years.

When I learned Rose had cancer and was so ill I contacted her and told her how thankful I was to have her as a part of my life. We've exchanged a couple of nice emails, but today her husband writes that Rose isn't doing too well. The prognosis isn't good, and barring a miracle Rose's family will lose her all too soon. Knowing that some people are just "there" brings comfort. Knowing that Rose may one day no longer be there makes me sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment